Thursday, February 25, 2010

thermo-photoperiodic cactus

Our christmas cactus or 'Schlumbergera' has finally bloomed after 4 years of hiding.
Not that I have the secret to making them bloom but here's what I tried and it worked...
- pruned back about two leaflets in spring
- kept in the shade (lesser light) through the summer
- moved to more light in December
- fertilized once early in December then let it dry out
- only watered about once every two weeks
- watched it bloom like a happy houseplant should

Thanks to Debbie for giving us this start from the Portland motherload cactus.

5 comments:

crystal carlson said...

Wow, that is so pretty! Way to go! I would have killed if for sure!

Christine said...

How pretty! I wish I could keep plants alive. It is definitely a talent.

Ashley said...

oooohhh! I like it. Sure is a pretty houseplant!

amy said...

Ithink mine is going to bloom again for easter. I just need to keep little fingers away from it.

The Fershtut Four said...

wow, nice job, it is beautiful. One day maybe I will try to grow plants again. You guys have inspired me!