Sunday, December 12, 2010

Mega Cookie Baking Day 2010

This is one of the craziest traditions I've ever heard of, and one of my most loved. (Otherwise the 12 hour drive would seem a bit unjustified.)

Here's the breakdown of MCBD:
Debbie, Jeff, Mom, and anyone else who feels like getting up early, start mixing cookie dough at 6 A.M.
Continue mixing dough, baking cookies, mixing dough, baking cookies, making no-bakes, running to the store for more supplies, mixing dough, and baking cookies all day.
Lunch from Subway
Dinner is pizza
No eating dough
No eating cookies
Mix dough until midnight
Bake whatever is left
Final count when last cookie is cooled and counted. (Usually around 2:00am)

Bailey really surprised me at how good she was. In the car and all day. We planned ahead and had chips ahoy ready for hungry kids begging for cookies.


Such a cool shot my sister got of one of the most popular cookies we made.


This year we had a special visitor, COOKIE MONSTER!
Bailey wasn't sure about him at first...

She warmed up to him when I pointed out he was friends with Elmo.

This was the first year since Grandma passed away. We were determined to break the record in her honor. The sign says "Here's to you, Lois". We did beat the record, by nearly 400 cookies;
5,741 Cookies!


After the final count, and if you are still awake, you can eat as many cookies as your tummy can handle. Unfortunately, after smelling dough, some burnt cookie sacrifices and thousands of cooled cookie mixtures, the cravings have all subsided. Nonetheless, a satisfying reward for a hard days work.

9 comments:

Linsey said...

Oh my heck!! That is a ton of cookies! I am in complete awe! Sounds like crazy fun! I love traditions like that!

Rick and Collette said...

WOW!!! That is a lot of cookies! That must be one crazy day! I love it! What a fun tradition. I remember you telling me about that tradition when we little little kids playing in the cul-de-sac. It was so amazing that I have never forgotten it.:) Glad you guys had fun!

Smitty n' Chelle said...

oh.... my... goodness!!!! NAd what exactly do you do with that many cookies? spend the next day delivering them to the whole neighborhood? Now I really want to eat some of those cookies! And you look so dang cute pregnant! I was showing Kialey the pics and she said she really misses Bailey!! We miss you guys!

Christine said...

Such a fun tradition! I bet you are too tired to even eat them afterwards. What do you do with all of them? Those could make a lot of neighbors happy. I want to see tummy pics!

Ashley said...

I love it! I've always thought it was such a crazy fun tradition of your family!

Marcie Meredith Photography said...

Ok. I just have to say that Bailey's awesome cheesy smiling for the camera is the best! Oh my gosh that is the cutest ever! Also, it is cracking me up that your baby bump is barely caught on the edge of the photo (in the last photo). Haha. You guys are the best.

crystal carlson said...

That is a LOT of cookies! Looks like a blast & what a fun tradition!

The Fershtut Four said...

Wow that makes me hungry! Sounds like fun. We miss you guys. Glad you are having a Merry Christmas so far!

ToddandCamille said...

What a fun tradition I love it! You are so cute preggo, Congrats!